I recently had the opportunity to actually sit down (YES!) and devour a book that has been calling my name for quite some time now. The book is called, “Soul to Soul Parenting – A Guide to Raising a Spiritually Conscious Family” written by author and soul nurturer Annie Burnside. In it, Annie takes us down her personal path of self-discovery and transformation in mindfulness which helps to pave the way for us as parents to do the same. She goes on to explain in detail that through authenticity, self-love, and inner-knowing, we all have the ability to make positive and conscious shifts in our parenting ways.
This book is not religious in its affiliation, but rather spiritual in the sense that it proves to invoke calm, peace, and over-flowing love in our daily lives. Annie portrays beautifully the ‘dig deep inside yourself’ awareness that is so badly needed to build strong foundations in our relationships with our children. I have read numerous books (and I’ve written many blog posts!) on the inner disconnect between parents and children, society and reality in general, and the negative outlook held by so many. ”Soul to Soul Parenting” gives real and workable solutions every family needs to create lives of purpose for ourselves and our children. It’s not a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to parenting, but rather a take what works for our family and leave what doesn’t.
Annie stresses continually the fact that we are all different. She emphasizes that raising a spiritually conscious family takes work and commitment, but that we all have our own way of ultimately getting there. What may be the best way to integrate spirituality into our lives may not be what’s best for another family. Spiritually conscious parenting has nothing to do with conforming to a certain technique, but has everything to do with stretching our minds and bodies into new perspectives, ideas, and potentials.
Here are Annie’s 5 Tips for Raising a Spiritually Conscious Family:
1. Utilize everyday life (friendships, nature, mealtimes, music, movies) as the perfect curriculum and forum to teach your children powerful, universal principles such as connectedness, self-love, presence, and forgiveness.
2. Teach children to allow multiple perspectives in all life situations and relationships by flipping challenges into positive opportunities.
3. Train children to be more conscious of thoughts, words, and deeds so they can assume greater responsibility for the creation of their own reality.
4. Encourage compassion and empathy in your children on a daily basis by making them the most-used words at home.
5. Turn the joy in family life up by singing, dancing, smiling, humming, laughing, and relaxing rigid perspectives as often as possible through openness and gratitude.
This guide has solidified my own outlook on the importance of mindful parenting. It will surely be a bookshelf staple in my home. I know I will draw renewed inspiration from Annie as my children grow older and our lives continue to blossom in all directions.
Learn more about ways to positively impact your children and the world through Soul to Soul Parenting here. Read more about Annie and her mission to invoke wakefulness into the minds of parents and children here.